Steampunk has a lot of creative and explorative trends that are associated with it. Music since ancient times has been a way to represent certain feelings, trends and lifestyles .
With the continual rise of Steampunk, we have not yet seen a specific Musical Genre associated with the style. An emblem of Music has not been assigned just yet, however many artists who enjoy the Steampunk culture have expressed their perception creatively. Everyone who is involved in a Steampunk way of life knows it is intricate in detail. From a far away time brought to modern day settings, fashions to books have traveled through its timelines. Music is a creative way to share different ideas and views . The types of Music considered to be Steampunk vary depending on the Artist and their own perspective.
Sounds of Steampunk
The majority of bands and artists bring an eclectic mix from the eras. Instrumentals blend together with vocalists and new age sounds. The finely tuned balance is popularly believed to one day be the titled Musical heading over the Steampunk name.
- The Clockwork Dolls– A mix of neoclassical, electronic and symphonic Music that appeals to the masses. This Steampunk themed group is made of theatrical flair and the smarts of science. Lyrical and resonating, they have made it to the top of the Steampunk charts.
- The Cassettes– Known as a Vaudeville Steampunk band, they also are a part of the Musical Explorers Society. The group consists of diverse Musical talents that range from instrumental to vocalists. They play a little bit of everything it seems. Rock, Indie, alternative and a modern mix are used to describe their novel style.
- Escape the Clouds– Stories and tales of a Steampunk world and lifestyle are immersed in the alternate realm. The singer and songwriter uses a balance of tones from around the globe for his inspiration. His songs depict a modern trend with an old classic vibe. Lyrics tell the stories of fantastic happenings and people if Steampunk were a reality.
- The Gypsy Nomads– With classical styles and a sense of gypsy rhythm, we have a Steampunk sound. The Gypsy Nomads have an emphasis on Folk, French, Cabaret with a splash of punk for good measure. When you listen to their captivating music you can only picture the hands of clockwork pieces and steam trains.
- Unextraordinary Gentlemen– Taking a love for Victorian Literature and combining it with Industrial and Experimental music is the setting for this band. They appeal to a post punk time that depicts a modern twist to Steampunk.
These five Musical bands have a common goal. Expressing their points of views with song and imagination lends a clear picture of what Steampunk philosophies mean to them. The traditional Music that seems to be the image of Steampunk has a defined line that mingles the then with an alternate now. Steampunk has a poetic depth and panache that is an inspiration to modernistic ideals.